
I love reading others' blogs (invited or not, heh) about their travel plans. Growing up, vacation only meant one thing for me: Nags Head, NC. It fascinates me to see all of the choices people have made to go on vacation. What?! There are places that don't have beaches attached that you can go in the summer?! The coastlines aren't the only tourist attractions in May through September?!?!I have a truly spoiled, reason for this way of thinking: my grandmother owned a cottage directly across from the beach in the Outer Banks of NC, and that was the obligatory destination for our yearly family outings.

Since then, much has changed: they tore down the old, tiny, drafty cottage with no actual bathroom inside (you had to go outside to an attached bathroom - but you were at the be ac! Who cared?!) and replaced it with a much more glamorous version with quadruple the space and nice tall stilts to ward off flooding in hurricane season.
spaciousness of an oversized three-bedroom space, and just as many nights sleeping on a recliner in the living room or in a tent underneath the cottage, while there were approximately twenty other relatives slumbering in equally awkward corners of the home.Being pregnant now has prevented us from planning the yearly pilgrimage down there this year; will I feel just as reluctant to take the journey with an infant next year? Or a fussy toddler?
We live five hours farther away now, which means less visits on my part.
My grandmother is so old now she doesn't spend Memorial Day through Labor Day in the cottage, and I hate the thought that my children might not know the joy of spending an entire summer living on the coast as I did. Sigh.This year we've opted for a much shorter two-hour trek to Niagara Falls, which I am definitely
looking forward to (I've never been there! Any suggestions for things to do?), as our "last hurrah" vaca before our twosome increases by 50%. While I am definitely excited, I have caught myself more than once wistfully looking over the beach pictures I've collected over the years (some of which I've included in this post). Nags Head, I shall return!



3 comments:
Hey! My husband and I went to Niagara Falls last summer, it is such a fun trip!! The falls are gorgeous. We stayed on the Canadian side though, not the US side...where are you guys staying? If you want a great view you could go up to the Skylon Tower, but whatever you do, DO NOT eat the buffet there. Not only is it waaay overpriced but the food is awful. And then I found a worm in my veggies and they did absolutely nothing about it, which I thought was odd. You get an awesome view though! We also did the "Tour Behind the Falls" which was really cool ...but you get really wet. Next time we will do the Maid of the Mist or whatever it is called. There is like some casinos there and they are like connected to this mall. We ate a steakhouse there and it was really great, except I cannot remember the name of it. But our table had a window that faced the falls and at night they are all lit up so it was really nice. You can see some pictures from our trip on my other blog here if you want! : http://anne-livingandloving.blogspot.com/2008/11/time-to-play-catch-up.html
You will have a lot of fun! Hopefully the weather is nicer for you, it rained almost the whole time we were there, which didn't matter because you get wet from all the mist anyways. Have a great time!
P.S. Sorry that was so long, haha
Thanks for all the tips Anne!!!! We are staying on the Canadian side, too - I'll let you know how it goes!
Post a Comment